Monday, April 30, 2007

The Imposter

Every year, the Voice of America gets thousands of letters and phone calls from listeners around the world and many travel to Washington DC to visit VOA headquarters. VOAcorrespondents around the world also hear regularly from fans and most have unusual stories to tell about amusing letters they have received or first-hand conversations they have had with listeners about VOA programs. But an incident I experienced must surely rank among the strangest of them all. I filed this report in July 1995 (and it is another of the experiences mentioned in my Columbia Journalism School remarks; the photo is of the inscription on a poster my 'double' gave me):

I am sitting in the VOA news bureau in an office building in central Nairobi when the phone rings. On the line is a man who tells me his name is Alex Belida.

I assume it is a mistake, that he really is someone who wants to speak to Alex Belida. But he persists and I am astonished -- so astonished that I agree to an appointment so the caller can drop by the office.

The next day my mystery guest shows up and, with my tape recorder in hand, I ask him to state for the record his name:

“My name is Alex Belida.”

But, he quickly acknowledges, that is not his real name:

“My name is Mesafint Beyene. My nickname is Alex Belida. I got it recently from friends.”

Even I have to admit it is an unusual choice for a nickname, so I ask how he got it. It is a story that will thrill the hearts of all VOA executives back in Washington.

“I got that name because I listen to the radio day and night.”

And not just any radio. He listens to VOA and he especially likes to hear my voice:

“Mostly I like your voice. It’s a wonderful voice. When you present this voice about African affairs, East Africa and normally about Somalia and Kenya, Ethiopia, the sound is great. For me it is wonderful. That is why many friends, when I tell them about Alex Belida, this voice is beautiful. So they gave me that name: ‘your name is Alex Belida.’”

Mesafint Beyene is an Ethiopian refugee who has lived in Kenya since 1991. He says he loves his homeland. But he has no plans to return there and instead hopes to emigrate to South Africa, where he believes he will be able to find work more easily.

I for one am confident he will keep on listening.

(For the broadcast version of this script, I got Mesafint to record a variation of the standard VOA sign off: “I am not the original Alex but Ican say I am the copy Alex Belida, VOA news, Nairobi”. And one more note, a couple years later I received a postcard from him. He had made it to South Africa and from there, as I recall, he had moved or wanted to move to the United States.)

No comments: