As a lifelong journalist, I still am not wholly comfortable in coming right out with an opinion. But I have to admit I had an almost visceral reaction of anger Wednesday night this week when I listened to Florida Congressman Kendrick Meek introduce former President Bill Clinton at the Democratic National Convention in Denver.
In the introduction, Meek hailed Clinton for a number of reasons, including this: “As Commander-in-Chief, President Clinton prepared our military to win wars, at the same time working everywhere in the world to make peace in Africa, in Europe, in Asia, in the Middle East.”
This struck me as profoundly wrong -- the notion of then President Clinton working “to make peace in Africa.”
I don't doubt Clinton wanted peace. But here’s what I remember: his administration’s initial refusal to acknowledge that there was a genocide under way in Rwanda and, before the killing, to allow the UN peacekeepers in Rwanda under General Romeo Dallaire to take aggressive steps that could have perhaps prevented and certainly could have mitigated the extent of the slaughter.
And what about Somalia? True, it was former President Bush who committed US forces to Somalia but it was Clinton who made haste to withdraw them after there were American casualties in Mogadishu. As a result, the entire international community pulled out militarily, leaving Somalia a festering, lawless, ungoverned sore.
As you may have read in previous postings here, I was in both those countries at the time all that happened and the sour taste lingers to this day. As much as I might admire Clinton for much of what his administration accomplished, its record vis-à-vis Rwanda and Somalia is, in my view, nothing to give him credit for.
Now, to the topic of militarization of US policy toward Africa. For a critical view, go to this item and check out the links.
And a question: in light of the latest Islamist takeover of the Somali port of Kismayo, and the talk of a possible Ethiopian troop withdrawal from Somalia, can we expect (a) fresh US air strikes against suspected extremist leaders and/or (b) a new abandonment of Somalia by the international community ala 1995? What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment