Friday, January 23, 2009

State Department on Nkunda Arrest: "A Welcome Step"

State Department Spokesman Robert Wood said today:

"His removal is a welcome step on the road to peace. He has caused nothing but havoc for the people of Congo and frankly for the people of the region. He has been causing havoc for far too long. I think this was a good sign of cooperation among those governments to try to get at Mr. Nkunda, General Nkunda, but I can not give you a much broader assessment at this point. I just don't know.

"Africa is going to be a priority for Secretary Clinton and trying to foster cooperation by countries in the region, particularly in the region of Congo, is very important. The violence has been going on for much too long and the secretary knows that and so does the president. They are going to take a very strong interest in trying to promote peace and stability on the continent in general."

No comments: